You have a precious visa to Thailand in your hands and you only think of the picturesque beaches and warm sunshine. Here a question arises – how to get there faster and cheaper? Here the main thing is to immediately realize that Koh Samui is an island, with all the attendant difficulties. That is, you can get there either by air or sea. There are several options, which we will describe in detail.
How to get to Koh Samui from Bangkok
- Bangkok-Samui by plane. This is the fastest and most comfortable, but also the most expensive way to travel. Besides, only airplanes of the local airlines Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways go to the island, and these companies have no competitors. The ticket cost is about $ 120 per person. But it will take you just one hour and you will be at the beach.
- Bangkok-Koh Samui by plane + ferry. By using services of the relatively low-cost airlines Air Asia and Nok Air you can get to the continental margin in Surat Thani, which is about an hour’s drive from Donsak Pier. From there ferries go to the island. However, we need to clarify one important point – the planes take off not from the Surat Thani airport, but from Don Muang, so care should be taken in time and make a margin of about 4 hours on the road. It is worth mentioning that you should better buy a ticket directly to Koh Samui, because you will have paid the whole way, including the ferry and bus. Such an all-inclusive ticket will cost a bit cheaper – about 40-50 dollars. The journey with all transfers will take 5-6 hours.
- Bangkok-Koh Samui by train + bus + ferry. From the Hua Lamphong railway station in Bangkok you need to get first to Surat Thani, here buy an all-inclusive ticket for the bus and ferry. The journey takes about 12 hours, so it’s best to go at night to be in Surat Thani in the morning and then with new forces hit the road. So you won’t miss the ferry, which runs only until 19:00. A ticket for a second class wagon with air conditioning will cost you about 550 baht.
- Bangkok-Koh Samui by bus + ferry. There are day and night bus routes to Ko Samui, which start in the northern and southern bus stations in Bangkok. The price of an all-inclusive ticket depends on the transport class. A luxury bus has a café and fully folding seats, the ticket price includes the dinner. The first and second classes offer only water and a snack in the form of rolls. The journey takes about 12 hours together with the ferry. This is the cheapest way to travel and one of the most convenient.
How to get to Koh Samui from Phuket
The distance between the islands of Phuket and Samui is 300 kilometers, and you can get from one to the other again by various transport: by plane, ferry, bus, taxi, bike.
- The most expensive and fastest way is air travel, which the company Bangkok Airways provides once a day. The average ticket price is 4000 baht.
- A transfer Phuket-Koh Samui will cost a little cheaper than a plane ticket and will let you enjoy the beautiful scenery while traveling. Here they will offer a minivan for tourists with a large luggage, a minibus for a big company, and a taxi with special child seats for families with young children.
- One of the budget ways is a tourist bus Phuket-Koh Samui, which every day departs from the Phuket bus station. The ticket price also includes a ferry crossing. The entire way would take about 6 hours. Going by a regular bus Phuket-Koh Samui would be cheaper, but it is less comfortable.
- Bike rentals in Koh Samui is an option for fans of extreme adventure and speed. The road takes you to the most beautiful places, and you can admire the country landscapes and stop where you like. For transporting the bike on the ferry you will pay 50 baht.
How to get to Koh Samui from Pattaya
The route Pattaya-Samui is not very popular among tourists, but there is a transport connection between these resorts. You can get to Koh Samui from Pattaya by air and it will be faster and more expensive, or by land through the above-ground transport, and then on the ferry.
- Air travel. Every day a plane takes off from the Utapao international airport, which is a 40-minute bus ride from Pattaya. The flight takes one hour, and in total 2,5-3 hours and about 120 dollars should be allocated for the way.
- Bus + Ferry. If you’re ready to go almost 1000 kilometres by bus, then this option is for you. Three times a day from the bus station of Pattaya depart yellow buses that get passengers to a ferry line in Donsak. Here you don’t have to wait for the ferry, and go to the island by boat.
- You can also get first to Bangkok by train, bus or car, and then go to Koh Samui any of the above ways.
How to get to Koh Samui from Krabi
You should better get to Koh Samui from Krabi by bus or taxi because thus you will not only save the budget, but also be able to see the unique beauty of the place. Here you can rent a car or a bike, and if you travel with a big company or family and children, then you can hire a minivan or minibus to travel.
Let’s summarize: if you need to get to Koh Samui quickly – choose an airplane, at a low price – choose a bus, comfortably – choose a transfer, with fun – choose a bike. In any case, above-ground transport will always be a perfect option for romantics and lovers of exotic nature, and air travel will be chosen by people who value their time.